Understanding about the causes of acne may help you prevent and fight acne breakouts. The major factors that can cause an acne flare include:
- Excess sebum or oil gland production (influenced by hormones).
- Changing hormone levels in adolescent girls and adult women 2 to 7 days before their menstrual period start.
- Skin Cells that’s shed become abnormally sticky and accumulate, or clog up, in the hair follicle (influenced by hormones).
- Increased number of the acne-causing bacteria Propionibacterium Acnes, or P. Acnes.
- Use of greasy, pore-clogging (comedogenic) cosmetics or grease encountered in the work environment (for example, a kitchen with fry vats).
- Environmental irritants, such as pollution and high humidity.